Search This Blog

Monday, January 3, 2011

Do we deserve being in a good relationship?

At one/some/most point(s) in your being single, the feeling of self- entitlement must have permeated your entire being making you almost want to blurt out "why her?  I'm waaaay better-looking than her" to that odd cute guy- average girl couple you meet at the MRT.  Or have made you evaluate yourself in comparison to that friend notoriously leading on guys then dumping them like they're last day's trash (disclaimer: this isn't exactly the story of my life. You are not THAT friend) thinking you deserve being in a relationship more than the likes of her.  But since you aren't in one, you think to yourself that surely, you're collecting good karma points bringing your partner-to-be closer and closer aaannd making him/her the most perfect bf/gf in the planet for you.  But are you?  Maybe you're setting yourself for a major, major disappointment?

Is it really bad to feel entitled to be in a good relationship because you are "better" in terms of looks, brains, background,  and personality than those people around you?  People tell me all the time that I should get a "prime catch" boyfriend because I have the most lethal combination:  excessive doses of good looks, THE brains, humor and "exciting" personality ---ok, ok...it does not hurt to advertise now, does it? lol. I kid.  But it gets all the more confusing because apparently there are a lot of people with "prime catches" in tow who are every bit the opposite of me (read: not-so-good-looking, not-so-smart, not-so-nice, oh-so-bland)- I kid you not. 

I've read this book by Bo Sanchez called "How to Find Your One True Love."  Ok you can laugh all you want but the point is, it's a good book and I'm inclined to believe whatever the books says...and it says that one problem the single and looking (forever) people is the high sense of self-entitlement.  That people don't really look proactively for partners because they think their future loved ones will be served up to them in a platter.    Just because they're them.

Despite me trying to keep my self- entitlement in check, I don't think I'll ever "settle" for the following people who I honestly think are undeserving of their happily-ever-afters: 

Undeserving #1:  The incurable cheaters: "Collect and collect then select"- that's their motto.  Sadly most of them get stuck in the collecting process, never quite learning how to select.  Perhaps they confused it with "the more the merrier."
Undeserving #2:  The clingers.  Sapping your powers to the Nth power.  Whereas a relationship should be a place where you grow together, you find that your partner isn't exactly a growing tree like you, but a clinging and suffocating vine.
Undeserving #3: The firm believer that all is fair in love...so much so that he/she'll steal a friend's "love."  This person does not understand the First Dibs rule.
Undeserving# 4: The spineless.  The person who is a mollusk.  Taking "I can't live without you" to a whole new level.
Undeserving# 5: The ME person.  "It's not you, It's ME. It's never you, it's always ME."

  
I still believe we all deserve the best relationship.  That's the sense of entitlement that I refuse to relinquish.  Maybe we just need to learn what really is "best" for us.  What we think we need and what we need might not be the same.  Me?  I pray to God for discernment.  I know I may not look it, but I try to be spiritual.  It's what makes me un-ampalaya (bitter gourd for the Englishers out there. holla!).  I know "darating din yan with God's grace" because "naghahanap ako," and not merely because "God knows I deserve it."

2 comments:

  1. what bo says about those people looking for a partner forever is quite true -high doses of self-entitlement really makes you very idealistic and ended up with no one...just like me plus the collector type..ugggghhhhh...now what does that make me?lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you don't strike me as a collector tho. LOL.

    ReplyDelete